Sunday, February 22, 2009

Slum Dog Mania


Slumdog Millionare makes a clean sweep at the 81st Oscar awards. It was a dream run at the Oscars for India.
Filmmaker Danny Boyle’s rags-to-riches romance set in India, Slumdog Millionaire, won eight Oscar awards for best feature film, direction, original song, original score, sound mixing, editing, adapted screenplay and cinematography.
An elated Rahman who won the Academy Awards for best original score and song from the film Slumdog Millionaire said, “I want to thank everyone. The essence of the film is optimism and hope. All through my life I had the choice of love and hate…I chose love and I am here.”
Indian music maestro AR Rahman won the Oscar for his original score in the highly acclaimed movie Slumdog Millionaire.
The composer was overwhelmed and interspersed his speech with Hindi as well as Tamil on receiving the coveted trophy here Sunday.
“There is a dialogue from an old Hindi film,”Mere paas ma hai” - which means I have nothing but a mother. My mother is here, I have her blessings. I am glad she could be here,” said Rahman.
He ended the acceptance speech by saying “God is great” in Tamil, something he says after winning every award.
Boyle, 52, who had never before been nominated for an Oscar, beat David Fincher (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button), Ron Howard (Frost/Nixon), Gus Van Sant (Milk), and Stephen Daldry (The Reader).
Boyle also becomes the first British winner of best director since Sam Mendes was honored in 2000 for American Beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment